Support and Promote
3 Primary Goals
For those not familiar with the sealed records controversy
or don't understand the urgent need for adoption reform, the following provides a capsulized overview.
Adoption records, (also affecting step-parent adoptions), have been sealed in 48 of the 50 states since the early 40's
Only six states have open records as of this writing.
What do sealed records mean
and how do they affect us all?
- It means that when an adoption takes place, the adoptees' records are
are sealed "forever" causing, some believe, a form of ancestricide or
genocide. By virtue of an archaic adoption law, entire family gene- alogical histores have been wiped out.
As adoption laws now stand, the 14th Amendment
of our Constitution does not apply to adopted persons.
- It means that adoptees are being denied basic God-given rights that
the rest of us enjoy - our heritage, medical history, genealogy, & the
ability to find the answer to the age old question - 'Who am I?'
- It means birthparents who surrendered their children in good faith have had to suffer years of anquish wondering what happened to the child of their womb. Most were not told nor believed they were signing away their child "forever."
- It means that adoptive parents are denied pertinent ongoing medical, genetic, and psychological information, so necessary in parenting an adopted child.
- It means those who "facilitate" (arrange) adoptions have been (and continue to be ) free to perform unscrupulous deeds and then hide behind the confidentiality law; i.e. obtaining surrender papers from birthparents under false pretenses; telling adoptive parents that the child they are adopting has been abandoned and unwanted; altering and falsifying (aka 'doctoring') adoption documents, and selling babies to the highest bidder. The list goes on.
- It means that individuals involved in search work who assist in reconnecting loved ones separated by adoption, are putting themselves at risk because of the "sealed records" and "confidentiality laws" -- the same laws that PROTECT the agencies and the State from their scrupulous deeds and lucrative baby-selling business.